Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I think I lost my "Mother of the Year" nom today

Well if you drove by the Exxon at Harvey and Texas today around 2pm and saw the flashing lights and heard the sirens, that was me.

****Caution**** before proceeding: if you have a lot of respect for me and my intellect that you'd like to maintain, I suggest skipping the rest of this post.

As I was filling the car up, Carson was crying in the backseat. (Lately his car seat has been his nemesis -- and so, tantrums are the norm when we're on the go). In a rare stroke of genius, I thought, "let me give him my keys to play with so he won't mind waiting for 5 minutes while I'm pumping gas!" You can probably imagine where this is going... (do I need to mention that I closed the door behind me) So after 5 seconds I hear my horn honking and see Carson entertaining himself by pressing the buttons on my key chain.

And there I stood, helpless and humiliated, praying that God would make Carson press the unlock button -- but instead he threw the keys on the ground. Nice man two pumps down, lent me his phone to call Daniel at work -- who of course didn't answer -- there's another unanswered prayer. So I had to call the cops. Now, this wasn't an emergency -- it's an overcast day, and in the 70s. The only thing in danger was my pride, self-esteem, sense of worth, etc.

So I asked the police man on the phone (I didn't even call 911) if he could send someone to open my door. Then 30 seconds after hanging up, I hear sirens. "Please, God, don't let that be for me" -- 3rd unanswered prayer.

In turns the ambulance -- FOLLOWED BY THE FIRETRUCK!!! Out jump 6 men who have dedicated themselves to saving lives and protecting the public and now they have to unlock the car for this idiot lady -- at least the kid inside was cute (and totally entertained by the commotion). In about 4 minutes they were in, and left. They didn't even ask how it happened - there's that grace of God I had been waiting for!

Here I sit, in my house, vowing to never go outside again. Dreading the look on my husband's face when he gets home - wondering how he must really feel about today's affair and whether or not he'll take tomorrow off being afraid to leave Carson alone w/ me again. At least I know you guys, my faithful readers, won't judge me. I'm sure you've all done this a million times and its just part of motherhood - and eventually I won't be phased by these things unless they have to shut down an entire city block. For now, I'll just maintain a low profile, burn this outfit, dye my hair, and never go to that gas station again.

7 comments:

Holly said...

LOVE it!

Holly Peters said...

Oh Amber! I have actually done the exact same thing when Greta was Carson's age! Fortunately for me she only pressed the "unlock" button and I opened the door and snatched those keys away very fast :)

Unknown said...

I'm sure i'll have my turn at stuff like this. My sister did this when her son was carseat age. My mom and I tried to come help and found her crying and frantically calling someone. So scary!

The Lightbodys said...

At least it made for a great story! I don't even have kids yet, and it seems like I have crazy stories like that :)

Christy

Unknown said...

It reminds of the day I locked you in the car when you were six weeks old. But, of course, as with everything you do, you did it with so much more pizzazz than I. Maybe it is true that the older you get, the less crazy I will seem to you. It's called motherhood survival! I love you!!

Erin said...

Amber!!! You officially have the best most embarrassing moment(s) story. Hands down. I don't know if anyone will ever beat you! The firetruck??

Maybe that brings some comfort :) And don't worry, I still maintain my respect for you! I love that story!

Anonymous said...

Oh my I loved this story!!!!!

I'm sure you are a great mom! Thanks for sharing with all of us that you aren't perfect...because sometime i forget! :) jk. Is this considered as Baby Mamma Drama?