Tuesday, December 2, 2008

No rest for the weary

Well it's time to confess that I've had an especially hard time not comparing Carson to all my other friends' babies (all the books tell you this will be an issue - but I didn't believe them). I guess now that I have numbers to deal with it makes it perfectly easy. And of course as the saying goes "comparison is the thief of joy" - and so, mine has been robbed. My main source of discouragement is in the realization that my baby seems to be the only one in the world who isn't sleeping through the night yet. How petty - I know - but I won't hide my shame from my readers. Four hours straight is pretty much what we can get out of our night owl. We've tried lots of tricks, but nothing seems to work. I would love some words of encouragement from some mommy friends and perhaps some advice as well (other than patience b/c I'm obviously lacking that -- I'm looking for something more in the quick-fix category like baby sedatives, but I don't know where to find them on this side of the border)

4 comments:

Erica said...

Amber, I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL! I compare ALL THE TIME, particularly about weight/height, because Eli is still far below the growth charts for his age. It is so hard not to compare. That's not encouraging, I know. :) Anyway, hang in there with the sleeping thing. Eli didn't get the hang of it until he was about 4 months old. And he still wakes up around 4am every single night to eat. It will get better- it will! Somehow you and me and everyone else we know with babies will make it out of the "baby" phase, and then we'll be missing those nights of rocking our babies to sleep. Carson is so blessed to have YOU as his mommy!

M Roberts said...

Hi Amber, we can see if we can bring some baby wine this side of the border! We miss you guys. Wish you were here. Give Carson a kiss from us!

Love you,

Bill and Bel

The Uptons said...

Hang in there Amber!

Maxwell and Miller both took their own sweet time to make it through the night. Both boys waited until 10-12 weeks. I know many friends whose kids even waited longer. I know you are tired, but it will pass...an then another child will come along and you will have more sleepless nights :-) Oh the joys of being a young mommy!

Maria

Karis Miller said...

Amber -- love the pictures of him smiling . . . well, I love all of them, but especially those! Who do you think he looks like? About sleeping through the night . . . it's just that he misses you . . . he can't imagine 4 hours without seeing his beautiful mom. When I was trying to will Zoe to sleep through the night, I thought I was doing something wrong when she was 2 months and still couldn't make it but 5-6 hours. But turns out they all have their own timing and eventually will do it . . . hang in there!! Does he take a paci? That's how I eventually got Zoe to go a little longer. Love you guys!