Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Roberts take to the skies

This was maybe the highlight of our trip. David went to LeTourneau University in Longview were he actually majored in ... Pilot. I'm sure there's a more official name for it, but I'm a simple woman who just learned what a "hangar" was this weekend (it's an enclosed structure to hold aircraft in protective storage. thank you, wikipedia) - so I'll spare my simple readers the official jargon - Rodger, Rodgers? So as he's looking for a job in the commercial airline industry, he flies privately for this guy who owns a 6-passenger plane (once again, I'm sure there are some numbers associated with the plane describing its engine size and what not, but remember - I'm keeping it simple for you readers) so back to the plane. David can apparently take it out for a spin when he wishes -- or we stole it for a joy ride -- I didn't bother to ask which one.

So here's David pulling the plane out of the HANGAR (word of the day, folks)

A quick photo-opp before take off

"Control, this is Cherokee 21418, we are ready for take off"

Okay, so now we're in the air -- here's where it gets a little tricky regarding Carson's state of consciousness

Our trusty pilot and co-pilot. By the way, David let Daniel control the plane for about 5 seconds until I kindly (trying to hide the panic in my voice) requested that Daniel hand the reigns back over



Annnnnnnnd he's out! I mean, REEEEEEALLY out!

I was mildly concerned that something might be wrong with the tyke, because I literally could not shake him, his breathing and heart rate remained normal (yes, I was casually trying to check his pulse) so I didn't get too worried, and then he started sucking on his lower lip which gave me assurance that my son would, in fact, wake up eventually, which he did once we landed and the engine turned off. I guess when you combine the hum of the engine, the change in air pressure, warm temperature, and floating sensation it took him right back to his happy place and he entered probably the deepest sleep of his life.
All in all, it was a really fun experience. The best part was seeing David in his element -- talking to air traffic control in his pilot language, showing us the sights of East Texas from the sky, doing smooth 15 degree turns, keeping us alive -- it was all great. I guess nothing makes you look up to your little brother like putting your family's life in his hands!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I am SO impressed that you took Carson. I dont consider myself over protective but I dont think there is anyway I would have gotten on that plane. This may have something to do with my HUGE fear of flying! Looks like you guys had such a fun time!